Notes on Installing Photographic Scenery in X-Plane 10/11 Using Ortho4xp
These are notes to remind me of the procedure for installing the required software through to having the photo scenery installed. Note I have Ortho4xp on a different drive to that on which X-Plane is installed so for X-Plane to access this scenery a symbolic link is required. These notes were made using X-Plane 11 but also work with X-Plane 10. These notes assume familiarity with X-Plane and navigating folders etc.
Links for downloads
- These instructions refer to Ortho4XP version 1.02b and do not require Python.
- Ortho4xp - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cjjwu92mausoh04/AACt-QzgMRwKDL392K_Ux3cPa?dl=0 (see image above - download button is top right)
- HD Mesh Scenery V3 - http://www.alpilotx.net/downloads/x-plane-10-hd-mesh-scenery-v3/
- HD Mesh Scenery V4 - http://www.alpilotx.net/downloads/x-plane-11-hd-mesh-scenery-v4/
- Height map data - http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/Coverage%20map%20viewfinderpanoramas_org3.htm
- Download, extract and place the Ortho4xp folder wherever you like (no install required). I have Ortho4xp on E: and X-Plane on F:
- Install the relevant HD Mesh areas for the photo scenery you wish to install.
- Download Height Data for the areas you want.
- Set path to X-Plane Custom Scenery in Ortho4Xp.cfg file.
- Create shortcut to run Ortho4xp for example: E:\Ortho4XP\bin\Ortho4XP_v120b.exe
- Run Orth4XP
- Ortho4xp downloads jpg images and converts them to dds images in the textures folder (e.g. E:\Ortho4XP\Tiles\zOrtho4XP_+50-004\textures). The jpg files are then no longer required and can be deleted to release space. I have the whole of the UK and Ireland at a zoom level of 17 taking up 166 GB in 55,000 files in 90 folders. If you have space to keep these files it is advantageous should you want to add a Custom Zoom Level to an existing area at a later date (e.g. around an airport or your house!). It will save a good deal of time and bandwidth as the jpg images will not require downloading again.